Go West Not-So-Young Woman!

My wanderings from Washington DC to the San Francisco Bay.

Name:
Location: California, United States

After 16 years of playing corporate lawyer in DC, I'm returning to my Western roots, going to California to be near my family. I'm going there at leisurely pace, seeing the America in between. This is the diary of my adventures. Please cyber-travel with me!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Still in Cleveland

Sorry to have so few posts for any of you who might be checking. Partly it's because I've been moored in Cleveland, so have no travels to write about; partly it's because y'all have kept me busy replying to emails.

Cleveland has been having a wonderful run of rainy weather -- almost constant since I arrived. However, Wednesday afternoon was clear, sunny and beautiful. Anne and I used it to visit the Cleveland botanical gardens, which are next to the Museum of Art, near Severance Hall (for those of you who know Cleveland). They were redone in 2003 and are just beautiful. There is an herb garden that incorporates old millstones into the pavement and layout; a children's garden with child-size trellis gates and a fabulous tree house; a Japanese garden with a fantastic rock "waterfall" surrounded by azaleas; several other lovely theme gardens. A Baltimore oriole drove us crazy with its call before we finally spotted it way up in a tree, and a grey catbird let me faintly hear its "meow" call. Indoors there is a huge glass house, one side of which is a Madagascar desert with a huge baobab tree (which I've always wanted to see since reading Le Petit Prince), the other side of which is a Costa Rican rainforest. The latter had zillions of Costa Rican butterflies flying everywhere, and we saw some ruddy quail-doves and a red-legged honeycreeper (which, apart from the red legs, is blue). A telescope let one get a close look at leaf cutter ants transporting pieces of leaves up a tree trunk. (Ant trivia: They can carry up to 50 times their body weight. And those are females, incidentally.)

Thursday, Chuck of Oatey Corp., whom I, as a lawyer, was helping with a chemical issue, treated me to lunch at his beautiful country club in Elyria, and to a tour of the Oatey facilities. Your house plumbing is probably replete with Oatey products -- it was really neat to see how they are made and packaged. We were joined by D'Lane, whom I knew from the Phthalate Esters Panel and who is the reason Chuck called me for help with the chemical issue, and by Jeff, another Oatey employee and maven of the Health, Safety and Environment world.

This afternoon the sun has finally appeared again; perhaps I shall do something else to write about. I must stop dawdling in Cleveland, as Anne is flying to New Mexico on the 28th to meet me there. So there should in any event be more Annventurer entries this coming week. 'Till then. --Ann

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home