Go West Not-So-Young Woman!

My wanderings from Washington DC to the San Francisco Bay.

Name:
Location: California, United States

After 16 years of playing corporate lawyer in DC, I'm returning to my Western roots, going to California to be near my family. I'm going there at leisurely pace, seeing the America in between. This is the diary of my adventures. Please cyber-travel with me!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Cleaving from Cleaveland

Did you know Cleveland was originally Cleaveland (after surveyor Moses Cleaveland)? It was changed to Cleveland when the editor of The Cleveland Gazette and Commercial Register needed to drop a letter for the masthead to fit across the page.

Anyhow, I cleaved or cleved away yesterday, driving south to Akron to tour sites of historic significance for the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12-step program that has helped millions around the world, not only with alcoholism, but also with the psychic disturbances the spouse, sibling, or child of an alcoholic experiences, and with drug addiction, gambling addiction, overeating, co-dependency, and over 100 other dysfunctions for which there are 12-step programs. First stop was the AA Archives, which has exhibits of photographs, letters, and other memorabilia of the history of AA. It also has a bookstore that includes reproductions of the very early AA literature. I like the little card that lists marks of an emotionally mature person -- including not expecting special consideration from anyone, controlling temper, accepting responsibility for one's actions without trying to "alibi", and outgrowing the "all or nothing" stage. Perhaps something to share with certain politicians and celebrities.

The archives provided a map to significant sites, and I used it to find the Mayflower Hotel, where Bill Wilson made the phone call that led to his meeting with Dr. Bob Smith (the two are credited with founding AA), Dr. Bob's home, the Gatehouse for Stan Hywet Hall (the Seiberling -- as in Goodyear Tire & Rubber -- estate), where Henrietta Buckler Seiblerling brought about the meeting of Bill and Dr. Bob, and Dr. Bob's grave, where several people had left their sobriety medallions.

As I looked at the map to contemplate visiting Sandusky Bay, I saw the little town of Huron. I wondered if I had confused Hudson with Huron, and so called called my siblings. My sister didn't know, but thought Huron sounded more familiar. My brother was sure our mother had lived in Hudson. Mother is overseas, or I'd ask her directly. [Have now consulted with Mother. It was Hudson she lived in.] To cover all bases (having been to Hudson -- see last entry), I decided to drive to Huron on Route 18, which is Market Street in Akron. At first it was divided highway that looked like Anywhere, USA (car dealerships, franchise fast food, etc.), but then it narrowed to a two-lane country road. It went around the square of Medina (county seat of Medina County), with a classic bandstand and historic storefronts, and then through historic Wellington. I had to stop there to photograph the 1885 town hall with surreal Russian-like white turrets.

Then north on 250/13 to Huron, which appears to be a summer-home type place on Lake Erie. Lots of white clapboard houses with neat lawns. I found a gazebo at the end of a lane, which appeared to be public, but it was too windy and cold to sit and watch the herons flying along the shore. So I instead found a hotel with good Internet access! As Anne pointed out, I had spent all day to end about 1.5 hours west of Cleveland.

Perhaps will make better westward progress today. My brother has suggested a neat route through Amish country in NW Ohio, then south to Oxford, where a relative lived, and west across Indiana. Will let you know all about it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home